Sunday, October 20, 2013

Windy Peak - Solo



Windy Peak is in the less popular southern region of Red Rock. This area is outside of the scenic loop and visitor center area that most people visit when they come to Red Rock. I like it because it's closer to my house, easily accessible, and doesn't require a fee to access.

Windy Peak is a quick, easy hike with one pseudo-Class 3 section of scrambling. It's Class 3 with almost no exposure, so my cup of tea. Exposure is what gets me nervous. Though don't get me wrong, it's no problem to find exposure on this route. It's easy to find, and easy to avoid. I dispatched the scrambling part with ease, and then it was a 10-15 minute scramble to the summit. Along the way, I saw several pools of water (tinajas) and even a nice little slot.

Since I approached from the West (behind), I hiked over the famous keystone thrust, where limestone and sandstone were violently thrust together who knows how long ago. It's really neat to hike from limestone to sandstone in just a few steps. 

As with all the peaks along the keystone thrust, Windy Peak has phenomenal views East, towering over the desert below. 

Since the hike was pretty tame (95% trail, 5.2 miles, 1800 ft gained), I was able to make quick time up, and even jog a little down. Great day in the mountains.







Peak name controversy in the summit log:
                 


Tarantula whisperer:

No comments:

Post a Comment